The first Bridge Meadow fixture of the season saw an entertaining 2-2 draw played out between two battling sides with Danny Williams bagging a brace for the Bluebirds.

A mild evening saw the Bluebirds take on Newtown in front of the Sgorio cameras, and they will not have been disappointed with the action on display.

It was Newtown who had the best of the early exchanges, with Jamie Breese shooting just wide from inside the box in the 2nd minute of the game. Steve Hall had a couple of comfortable saves to make in the first 15 minutes, but it was a quiet start.

With Newtown having the lion’s share of possession, it was down to quick thinking that lead to Ben Fawcett having the Bluebirds’ first chance of the game after dispossessing a Newtown midfielder.

Newtown’s long throw posed a real threat to the County defence, and only a super stop from Steve Hall denied them the lead in the 18th minute. His quick distribution resulted in a Bluebirds counter attack with Ben Fawcett collecting the ball inside the box, but his driven shot across goal was eventually collected by the Robins’ goalkeeper.

After a few half chances, Newtown took the lead in the 34th minute. A long throw from the right avoided everyone and was eventually nodded in at the far post by Nick Rushton.

There was a good response from the Bluebirds before half time, with a fierce Ben Fawcett strike going over the bar and a Sean Pemberton header ruled out for offside.

The Bluebirds came out fighting second half and fashioned a number of chances. The best of which was a rasping shot by Kieron Lewis after a quick break which was well-matched by the Newtown goalkeeper. As the ball rebounded wide, Lewis’ cross was deemed to have struck the hand of a Newtown player and a penalty was awarded. Danny Williams confidently struck the penalty home and the Bluebirds were all square.

The game began to open up after the penalty with both sides creating half chances. However, it was Newtown who struck again in the 74th minute. A set piece whipped in from the right fell to the back post, which was then driven across goal and deflected into Kieron Mills-Evans who fired home to put the Robins in the lead.

This lead didn’t last long, as sub Jack Wilson floated an incredible cross to the back post where Danny Williams was lurking to tuck the ball home in the 77th minute. There was little action in the final few minutes apart from a brave Steve Hall block in the final minute of the game.

The Bluebirds face Connah’s Quay Nomads at the Bridge Meadow next Sunday (27th) 2.30pm kick off.